Economy, Budget & Taxes:
• Does not think the U.S. economy needs more stimulus money.
• Does not support tax increases for corporations, individuals earning more than $250,000, individual earned income.
• Does not support increase for Interest and Dividends tax or Capital Gains tax.
• Wants to see the U.S. pursue addition free trade agreements
• Wants to pressure China to revalue their currency.
• Believes the president should have a line item veto.
• Supports a balanced budget amendment.
• Does not want to increase the age for social security
• Against reducing healthcare reimbursement rates.
• Against reducing the benefits and pay for federal employees
• Against enacting the Employee Free Choice Act.
National Security & Foreign Policy:
• Against illegal immigrants having a path to legal status.
• Supports sending illegal immigrants to their home country.
• Does not believe immigration should be left solely to the federal government
• Against going beyond economic sanctions on Iran to slow its nuclear development.
• Against trying suspected terrorists in civilian courts.
• Opposes putting extra pressure on Israel to stop settlements in the occupied territories.
• Opposes pressuring Israel to recognize Palestine as a state and signing a peace treaty with Palestine.
• Against profiling to enhance national security.
• Against reducing our commitment in Afghanistan and states:
“we should change the mission. Establishing and maintaining a western style representative democracy is not realistic; we should strengthen our intelligence gathering capability to the point where we have the capacity to identify terrorist cells, then eliminate them by unconventional means.“
• Believes individuals should be able to purchase health insurance across stateliness.
• Supports repeal of the healthcare bill
• Would like to see the healthcare bill amended to change some provisions and states:
“And replaced with a plan that will lessen, not increase government involvement, increase competition between health care insurers, provide for universal deductibility for health premiums, fund the community health care system, implement reasonable tort reform, allow for the sale of health care insurance policies sanctioned in any state in all states.”
• Supports revising the tort system to cap medical liability, cap punitive damages, eliminate contingent legal fees and adapt the loser pays principle for legal fees.
“I support tort law reform, we don't have punitive damages in NH, the loser pays principle should only apply to suits that go to trial and are determined by a judge to be frivolous in nature.”
• Supports amending the No Child Left Behind Act.
Energy & Environment:
• Against a federal carbon tax
• Does not support an offshore drilling ban
• Supports tax incentives for alternative fuels, such as wind and solar power.
• Supports tax incentives for development and/or the use of clean fuels from coal.
• Agrees with encouraging nuclear electric power generation through more timely permitting.
When asked if federal government enact a cap and trade law for carbon emissions Bass states:
“I oppose the Waxman-Markey cap and trade bill or others that provide for taxation of carbon.”
When asked if oil drilling should be expanded into ANWR, offshore areas, etc. Bass states:
“Yes in offshore areas if properly managed and regulated, no in the Arctic National Wilderness.”
• Does not believe federal government should play a role in gay marriage or abortion
• The NRA has given Bass an 'A' ratings for his stance on gun rights issues.
Interest Group Ratings:
• In 2010 the National Rifle Association Political Victory Fund gave Bass a grade of A.
• In 2010 Gun Owners of America - Candidate Ratings gave Representative Bass a grade of B.
• In 2006 Citizens for Global Solutions gave Representative Bass a grade of C.
• In 2006 Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America gave Representative Bass a grade of C+.